HVAC Tips for Pet Owners
Having a pet requires many responsibilities, such as maintaining health, grooming, feeding and proper exercise. Homeowners with both HVAC systems and pets have additional responsibilities in order to assure proper indoor air quality and maximum performance. Below are some HVAC tips for homeowners with pets.
- Give your dog regular baths: Pollen and dirt particles can accumulate in your pet’s fur and get trapped in the ductwork of your HVAC unit, so it’s a good idea to bathe them on a regular basis.
- Keep your home clean: When you own a pet, hair and dander can be found throughout your home. In order to minimize the amount that finds its way into your HVAC system’s ductwork, clean your carpets and floors regularly, paying particular attention to your pet’s favorite areas.
- Upgrade your HVAC filter: If you have a pet, make sure you choose an HVAC filter with a MERV rating of 8 or higher. Better yet, consider a complete home filtration system such as the Trane CleanEffects® air filter or Aprilaire whole house filtration.
- Return/intake air grills: Every pet has that favorite spot they like to lay down and often times that is right in front of an intake grill for your HVAC system. Try to deter your pet from laying directly in front of the intake grills as it will certainly be pulling the hair and dander from your pet directly into the return air stream to your HVAC equipment.
- Hide exposed wires: Your pet may find wires fun to play with, and it goes without saying that this can be dangerous to both your pet and your HVAC system. Keep wires hidden and out of reach of your playful pets to avoid hazards.
- Protect your condensing unit. Many animals such as dogs like to urinate on the condenser unit’s coils. This causes corrosion and ultimately damage to your condenser unit. Put a fence around the unit to protect it.
If you are unsure about the proper maintenance of your home’s HVAC unit, contact a professional HVAC company.