Five Fall Furnace Tips
As temperatures slowly begin to drop here in the northeastern United States, more and more homeowners are going to start turning on their heating systems in order to take the chill out of the air. We want to share with you five fall furnace tips to help solve some common problems that may appear when you fire up your furnace for the first time.
- Check your thermostat: We know it sounds a little obvious, but make sure your thermostat is set to “heat” and that it is set at least 5 degrees above room temperature. Believe it or not, we receive many “my heat isn’t working!” calls regarding these two simple issues.
- Check and change filters: If you have reading this blog for any time at all, you know we are always stressing the importance of changing filters regularly. If your heating system is struggling to reach the temperature you desire, or can’t maintain a consistent one, check your filters. In many cases dirty filters are the culprit when it comes to poor heating performance.
- Check the safety switch: If your furnace won’t operate, try checking the safety switch on the furnace door. This safety switch prevents the fan and burner from turning on while the access panel is removed. If you close the access panel and the finance still doesn’t ignite, it could be that the safety switch is faulty and will need to be replaced. This should be done by a qualified HVAC contractor.
- Inspect burner flame: The flame inside your burner can tell you a lot about the condition of your furnace. Ideally when you peek inside, you want to see a beautiful blue flame that burns evenly. If the flames inside your furnace are flecked with yellow, that means there is contamination in your burner, and you should have it cleaned as soon as possible.
- Have a professional inspection: Nothing beats having a skilled HVAC professional complete a thorough assessment of your heat system. A good technician can spot potential problems long before the occur, and assure your system is running as efficiently as possible.
Share a Tip with Us
Comfort Air Conditioning & Heating is one of Manhattan and Nassau County’s leading HVAC contractors. We offer a full range of air conditioning and heating services, including: installations, maintenance, 24 hour emergency service and so much more. Call our experts today at 516-799-0700. We’re A+ Rated by the Better Business Bureau.