Fall Air Conditioner Maintenance
It’s September, and that means fall is here, and the air conditioning season is rapidly ending. Before we launch headlong into cooler days, apple cider and raking leaves, we suggest you spend a few minutes taking care of some essential fall air conditioner maintenance – especially if you have a system that supplies both heat and AC.
- Replace your air filter: Just like an air filter for an automobile, an HVAC filter traps particles that can damage your system and helps keep internal components running efficiently. Filters are often located at the return air grill in a central room in the house. The filter may also be in the unit itself inside the blower or on the bottom, top, or side of the unit.
- Clean the area around the outside unit: Make sure your outside unit has plenty of breathing room. Plants, vines, and shrubs can overtake your unit during the summer, and it is important to keep these clear of your HVAC unit to allow sufficient airflow. A good rule of thumb is to keep 2-3 feet of clear space all around the unit.
- Check your thermostat: Perhaps it’s time to switch the schedule around, replace the batteries or simply check to make sure it is in good working order. If you’ve always wanted a high-tech wifi thermostat, now may be a good time to contact your AC company about one.
- Clean interior vents and grilles: Check all the vents and grilles in your home and dust or vacuum them to ensure the best airflow possible.
- Schedule fall maintenance: While there a lot of things you can do yourself to help maintain your system, only a highly qualified HVAC technician can thoroughly evaluate your system and spot any potential problems.
Doing a little fall air conditioner maintenance can go a long way in helping keep your HVAC system running smoothly all year long.
Share a Tip with Us
Comfort Air Conditioning & Heating is one of Manhattan and Nassau County’s leading HVAC contractors. We offer a full range of air conditioning and heating services, including: installations, maintenance, 24 hour emergency service and so much more. Call our experts today at 516-799-0700. We’re A+ Rated by the Better Business Bureau.