Beat the Summer Heat
Recently, summer heat in NYC and Long Island has been nearing record highs, and it doesn’t look like it’s letting up any time soon. When you couple this heat with the tropical humidity we’re experiencing, there’s no doubt your air conditioning system will be working overtime to keep you cool and comfortable. With that in mind, we’d like to share a few tips with you that may help relieve some of the strain on your air conditioner and help lower your power consumption as well.
- Check your home for drafts and leaks: Drafts and leaks around doors and windows are usually something people worry about in the winter, but it’s equally important in the summer heat. They allow warm air into your home and force your air conditioning system to work harder. Make sure you caulk and seal any cracks around doors and windows to prevent loss of cool air.
- Block the heat: During the day, it’s a great idea to block out heat from direct sunlight by drawing curtains, closing blinds and lowering shades. In spots where the sun is particularly strong, consider applying solar film to windows to reduce heat absorption.
- Check your thermostat: If you’re still using an old thermostat, consider installing a programmable one so you create a cool schedule that works best for your home. By doing this you won’t have to worry about constantly adjusting the thermostat, plus you’ll save money too. If you’re the techy-type, try purchasing a wifi thermostat for ultimate control!
- Use ceiling fans: Ceiling fans aid in the circulation of cool air and will help your air conditioning system more efficiently. As an added bonus, the breeze created by a ceiling fan may allow you to raise the temperature in your home, saving you a few extra dollars a month.
- Check those filters: A clogged or dirty filter will make your air conditioner work harder, and you could end up with a breakdown — that’s something you don’t want on a 95-degree day.
- Keep it clear: Make sure the area around your outside unit is free of plant overgrowth or other debris that could end up damaging the unit.
- Get a checkup: If you didn’t get a qualified HVAC contractor to inspect your system before summer started, now is the time to make sure you schedule one.
To you have a beat the summer heat tip to share? Drop us a line in the form below. Stay cool and enjoy your summer!
Share a Tip with Us
Comfort Air Conditioning & Heating is one of Manhattan and Nassau County’s leading HVAC contractors. We offer a full range of air conditioning and heating services, including: installations, maintenance, 24 hour emergency service and so much more. Call our experts today at 516-799-0700. We’re A+ Rated by the Better Business Bureau.