Air Balancing for Beginners
Air balancing is a critical part of proper HVAC maintenance. It’s the act of fine-tuning your system to optimize airflow throughout your home, which will help overall efficiency and reduce the incidences of hot and cold spots.
While getting optimal air balance possible is best left to a skilled HVAC technician who has the knowledge and tools necessary to do the the best job possible, there are some things a homeowner can try to help ensure the right amount of air gets into every room.
Air balancing tips
- Experiment with your registers: Most registers have the ability to adjust their damper blades. During warm weather, open the registers on the upper floor and partially close them (never fully close registers!) on the first floor or basement. During the winter, do the opposite.
- Try a two-degree offset: Set thermostats with two-degree difference between floors. For example, set the upstairs to 74 and the downstairs to 72. This may help balance out uneven temperatures.
- Change those filters: We cannot stress enough the importance of changing your filters regularly and using only the best ones you can afford. Not only do they help clean the air by trapping debris, clean filters also ensure proper airflow which is critical for a balanced home.
- Protect your thermostat from excess heat: Electronic equipment, direct sunlight and other heat generating sources should be kept away from your thermostat. This is because they distort temperature readings and could make your air conditioner run for longer periods of time than necessary.
- Use your fan’s “on” setting: Your fan setting can have an impact on your comfort level. Most systems have two fan settings: “On” and “Auto”. By using the “ON” setting, the fan will run continuously, creating an environment of constant airflow, helping to balance temperatures throughout the home. Be aware that this may increase energy costs.
If your home suffers from very pronounced hot and cold spots, make sure to call a trusted HVAC company for a full evaluation and proper air balancing.
Share a Tip with Us
Comfort Air Conditioning & Heating is one of Manhattan and Nassau County’s leading HVAC contractors. We offer a full range of air conditioning and heating services, including: installations, maintenance, 24 hour emergency service and so much more. Call our experts today at 516-799-0700. We’re A+ Rated by the Better Business Bureau.